Join South Australia's Premier Schools' Debating Competition in 2021
We love debating and are very excited to welcome both new and returning schools to join the 2021 Schools’ Competition. Read through the information below or get started entering teams.
Team entries close on Wednesday 10 March 2021 (extended from original publication).
Scroll down to learn more…
Why Debating SA?
Debating SA has been the leading provider of schools debating in South Australia for thirty years. We are a not-for-profit volunteer organisation.
Our programme is innovative and student-centred with friendly and experienced support for teachers.
The aims of Debating SA are:
- To actively promote debating, free speech, and debating-related activities.
- To actively lead the way in providing training to young people to enable participation and excellence in all aspects of debating.
- To provide a diverse debating programme of substance whereby people of all ages can practise and improve their skills with participants from other schools or groups.
- To develop world-class training and resource materials that will assist in the promotion of debating at all levels.
- To encourage schools from across all sectors to fully participate.
- To foster a network of adjudicators and debaters keen to promote our organisation and debating in South Australia.
Debating SA seeks to encourage and develop in young people the following:
- Thinking and research skills
- Communication skills
- Social skills
In teams of three, students debate three times across the season with debates occuring every three weeks at a single venue chosen by their school.
Year 6/7 and Secondary School teams have the opportunity to participate in a finals series at the end of Term Three.
Teams and Divisions
Students enter as teams of three. Many teams choose to have an extra one or two team members to allow for student illness and other unforeseen commitments.
The competition is divided into six divisions:
- Year 5
- Year 6/7
- Year 8
- Year 9
- Year 10
- Senior: Combined Years 11 and 12
Rounds and Times of Debates
Debates will be held every three weeks during Terms 3. Debates begin from 6:40pm.
Number of debates: Each team has three debates to accommodate the shorter season structure.
Finals: There is a finals’ series for Year 6/7 and all secondary school divisions.
Teams can choose the venue they debate at when they enter. See the division availability for each venue below.
|Evening Debates held||Venue||Divisions|
|Tuesday||Cabra Dominican College||Year 6/7, Year 8 and Year 9|
|Tuesday||Pulteney Grammar School||Year 5 and Year 6/7|
|Wednesday||Glenunga International High School||Year 8, Year 9, Year 10 and Senior (Year 11/12).|
|Wednesday||Adelaide High School||Year 10 and Senior (Year 11/12)|
|Thursday||Grange Schools||Year 5 and Year 6/7|
|Thursday||Nazareth Catholic College||Year 6/7, Year 8 and Year 9|
IMPORTANT: Note that division availability at a venue is subject to demand and available resources.
The location and directions to the host schools can be viewed on the Venues page.
2021 Team Fees
Debating SA prides itself on the high level of support and quality of its programme. Our fees are set to enable us to deliver a comprehensive and well-resourced program whilst offering substantial value for money for schools.
Year 5 and Year 6/7: $150 per team
Years 8 and 9: $160 per team
Year 10 and Senior: $170 per team
Each school will be charged an annual per school fee in addition to team fees of $100.